After a wild 24-hour-cross-country adventure we are happy to announce that we have a beautiful new-to-us 24 channel Toft ATB24 console here at Acadia!
Todd had been on the lookout for a Toft to replace our Soundcraft console for a while and Jason was also interested in a Toft, having cut his teeth on Trident 80 series consoles, designed by Malcom Toft. Recently an ATB24 came up online for a decent price, complete with the meter bridge PLUS a custom built, VERY solid wood studio desk with integrated rack spaces. The only catch–it was located in Charlotte, North Carolina. The huge wooden desk meant shipping was out of the question…
A little research revealed that it was about 1000 miles by car, a one-way truck rental was reasonable and one-way flights direct from Logan were available. The next thing we knew, it was 2am and Todd was driving engineer Jason and intern Brian to the airport. We landed in Charlotte and were picked up at the airport by Joel, the seller. We all had breakfast (Brian got his first taste of real southern grits) and went to Joel’s studio to load the rental truck. Joel was a very cool guy and has a great spot to record.
A little over 24 hours after leaving Portland the guys were back at Acadia dropping off the new console. We had it up and running the very next day and got to use it for a session with The Mallett Brothers Band. The new board is super quiet, has fantastic analog vibe and the EQ is powerful and musical.
We can’t wait to install the beautiful solid wood studio desk (custom built by Joel) that came with the console during our annual holiday week “rewire” session where we disconnect all of our gear and perform maintenance.
Come book a session and hear our new Toft for yourself!
Hard to believe it’s September already, but as fall descends on us, don’t forget to head to some shows in town and support yer local musicians. This month’s cover designed by Jeff Clark @jeffclarktattoo. Submissions for next month’s issue can be emailed to email@example.com
Here’s our top list of shows to check out this month:
- Monday 9/4: KGFREEZE and others at Urban Farm Fermentory, 8pm
- Tuesday 9/5: Lacuna, Nuclear Boots, Bumbling Woohan at Empire, 9pm
- Friday 9/8: Cushing, 300 Calories at the Apohadion (107 Hanover), 8pm
- Friday 9/8: Battery Steele at Bayside Bowl, 9pm
Friday 9/8: Tall Horse, Henry Jamison, Gracie & Rachel at One Longfellow, 8pm
- Wednesday 9/20: Shabti and others at Geno’s, 8pm
- Saturday 9/23: Pete Witham & The Cozmik Zombies at Bayside Bowl, 8pm
- Friday 9/29: Waking Windows Portland (various venues– check out their website) feat. The English Muffins, Forêt Endormie, Mouth Washington and others.
- Saturday 9/30: KGFREEZE at Portland House of Music, 9pm
- Saturday 9/30: Tiger Bomb at Bayside Bowl, 8pm
Well, it’s August… so we’re all overworked and sweaty, but that is no excuse to miss out on great music this month! Cover art by Shawn Brewer @fastfoodprints. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to submit info about upcoming shows for next month’s Preacher’s Fire.
Here are some of the month’s highlights to check out:
- Friday 8/4: The Outsiders album release at Portland HOME, 9:30pm AND Glass Fingers, Superorder, $300 at Zero Station 222 Anderson Street, 8:30pm
- Friday 8/11: Cadaverette at SPACE 9pm
- Saturday 8/12: Tiger Bomb at Congress Square Park, 6pm
Saturday 8/19: Cushing at the Aphoadion Theater, 8pm
We’re also getting excited for Into the Aether, a 2-night amalgamation of 2017’s most talented veterans and innovative newcomers to black metal, doom metal, dark ambient and more… grab yer tickets for the festival (October 13&14) from Last Mercy Emissions.